Mapping Varna
By Category
Specials

History Monuments

French Monuments

REF NR: 1767

The French monuments are two. Located in the area called the Fork(Razklona),  just before the road to Vinnitsa. They can be reached by stone stairs, first seen is the large pyramidal composition and the road build right behind it leads to other smaller monuments. Although they have been built at different times they are built in memory of the 5 183 French soldiers who died in Varna during the Crimean War.

Their history is associated with the gathering of allies in the war against Russia - Turkey, England and France in Varna. The assembled soldiers exceeded four times the population of the city - back then only about 16 000 people. Meanwhile the cholera was approaching, brought from southern France through Gallipoli in Varna.

Very soon the deadly disease killed about 100 persons per hour. The cholera in Varna also developed at a frantic rate and soon the cemeteries were overcrowded and they started burying people in places not meant for burial.
The first headstones were placed in a place called the Quarantine at the beginning of 1856.

Under the Pantheon to the end of 1855 the new formed graves gave the name of the French cemetery. In 1888 there was the place where the monument was originally built. Around three sides of the monument were arranged eight cannon barrels brought from Tulon, France. Each of them weights about 3 tons and is 3.13 meters long, 2 / 3 of their length were dug in the ground. Today, six of them are placed on both sides of the stairs in front of the monument. The remaining two were submitted to the Naval Museum.

"A la memoire des soldats et marins francais morts a Varna pendant la guerre de Crimee, 1854 - 1855." Is the inscription which appears on the monument, a cross is carved below it.

In 1959, arch. Kamen Goranov was assigned with the relocation of the monument from the French cemeteries in conjunction with the new master plan for green building in the Sea garden, providing the construction of the Pantheon in the northeastern part of the National Revival alley.

HELP