The elegant building of the Drama Theatre was created during the first half of the 20th Century. The idea for this place belongs to the mayor of Varna at the time – Ivan Tserov. The construction started on the 26thof March 1912.
The initial design for the building belongs to the architect Nicola Lazarov. However, the Balkan wars (1912-1913) and the First world war (1914-1918) as well as the economic crisis after the war, halted the construction for some time.
It began again in 1929, when the prominent architects Dabko Dabkov and Jelyazko Bogdanov finished the building. They created a fine example of the Art Nouveau Art with elements of the Neo-baroque style. The Theater was opened in July 1932 and it is named after Stoyan Batschvarov – the first director.
In 1999 the Varna Opera House merged with Varna Philharmonic Orchestra and continued its mission as a state cultural institution under a new name - Opera and Philharmonic society - Varna. The stages and halls where the productions and concerts are staged are the following