Mapping Varna
By Category
Specials
  • Roman Street
    Segment of a street from the Roman Odessos, 1st - 3rd century.

History Historic dates & events

1863 The first lighthouse above Varna cape

REF NR: 10357

1863 The first lighthouse above Varna cape

In 1863 the French company ‘Company de far ottoman’ installed the first lighthouse above Varna cape radiating constant bright red light. The lighthouse was installed on a steel pillar, 15 meters above the sea. There was fitted a 7 degrees optic, that allowed 6 miles visibility from the horizon. The lighthouse was opened on August 15th1863 and the population used to call it the ‘red lantern’.

Through the pages of:‘Old houses from sea Varna’, volume II, from Ivan Michev

HELP