Virgin Mary Panagia Church began its life in 1602 after the position was selected in all accounts by a oxen and cart driven by a young Bulgarian Boy whom it appears was the only one who could make the oxen move with the icon in tow in the cart behind. This was held up as some sort of miracle by the on watchers and not wanting to doubt God's will the small church was founded on that spot.
Various issues ensued in the completion of Christian church within the Turkish ruling bodies including a bad fire and local rulings as to what could be built and high it could be and so on. Finally after another two centuries it was completed in 1896.
The icon is regarded as something very special and the church guards its assets well making sure that no one person can move it other than the hand of God.